Africa gelatine print jennifer petz



EU e-Privacy Directive

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View e-Privacy Directive Documents

You have declined cookies. This decision can be reversed.

Stealing an hour at the start of the day - a magical moment doing what I love

View the embedded image gallery online at:

This is where I am wanting to go. Still have a lot to learn - like to remember to print what is in the background first and the fact that the print is a mirrored version ... the glass should have been on the right :-)

Here I used a stencil for each object cut out of cardboard.

View the embedded image gallery online at:

This was my favourite print today:

View the embedded image gallery online at:

Well I'm having fun ... and thats the point of it after all.


Fully motivated to do great work today I wondered off to my studio ... and well, I managed to get one good print out of 8!

Anyway I really like this one....

Getting back into things here in good old Germany after a month in South Africa.

I've decided that the recipe with glycerine is the best one. I love using my water based oil paints and so that will be my thing from now on.

Have a look at what I did today:


View the embedded image gallery online at:

Look at what I managed to do in South Africa on my recent visit there. I used glycerine (which is used in Africa for shiny hair) and local gelatine.

View the embedded image gallery online at:


I just loved this series of prints called "the exploitation of love", I made with Pelikan Plaka paints.

The most amazing prints came off the gelatine slab once I had used a few different colors. Paint that I hadn't completely cleared off the slab mixed was printed with the freshly applied paint and created some fantastic colors combinations and effects. This is why I am in love with Gelatine Printing!!! The new love of my life - can't think about anything else.

Sorry aber ich kann einfach Heute nicht übersetzen ...


View the embedded image gallery online at:





Yesterday I attempted the ultimate gelatine slab recipe - a great fat flop. I mixed sugar (to conserve) and citric acid (to coagulate) and the result was a gooey mess that doesn't set properly ... so back to the last version - where I reduced the amount of acid and added some sugar. Just waiting to see whether it goes mouldy or not.

Ich habe versucht statt alkohol Zucker und Zitronensäure zu nehmen - aber es war leider nicht erfolgreich. Ich habe vor ein paar Tage gute gelatineplatten gemacht in dem ich das alcohol reduziert habe und dafür ein bisschen Zucker auch reingemischt habe zum konserverieren. Nun warte ich nur zum schauen ob Schimmel  nach eine Zeit drauf bildet was bei die Platten mit mehr alkohol drinn nicht passiert.

experimentieren mit gelatine

Using some scrap paper to pull off the remaining paint from the gelatine slab I was facinated to see that an image from the paper had been left behind. To my absolute excitement I found that I could reproduce the "accident" with all sorts of off-set print publications from magazines and adverts. There is no limit to the creative possibilities that have now opened up to me! WOW wow wow!

I used water based oil paints from "Lukas" for these prints.


Als ich dabei war ein Stück Schmierpapier zu benutzen um die Restfarbe von meiner Gelatineplatte abzuziehen ist mir ein Muster aufgefallen das dann auf der Gelatineplatte hinterlassen worden ist. Es war der Abdruck von dem Papier, einer Werbung aus der Zeitung. Ich war sehr aufgeregt als ich herausgefunden habe dass ich diesen "Versehen" mit sämtlichem Offsetdruck Material das so herum lag reproduzieren konnte. Zeitungen, Werbeblätter, Postkarten usw. Und damit öffnen sich kreative Möglichkeiten ohne Ende!

Ich habe wasserlösliche Ölfarbe von "Lukas" benutzt.

View the embedded image gallery online at:



What facinated me the first time I printed with Gelatine was that the gelatine enabled a fine, smooth structure (and this is possible from a hand pulled print!). I actually started with oil paints (water soluble) and was spoilt by the fantastic results. The problem is that oil paints are not so readily available, are expensive and therefore one doesn't experiment as much. I was determined to find something that I could buy around the corner and didn't cost too much. So I tried acrylics - which are good, but don't give the same fine structure. Then I moved to acrylics and wallpaper glue which was better, then I tried acrylics and dishwashing soap which also worked well. Today I tried dishwashing soap and pigments (normal pigments that one buys at the hardware store to add to PVA to paint walls) and I was so excited to find that I am getting the result that I was looking for. Fine, smooth structures with no "suction marks" as with the acrylics.

So now the realy work begins - now I need to use my experience to make real Art. What real art is can be debated, but I am sure it is more than willy-nilly pulling prints off a gelatine slab.



View the embedded image gallery online at: